Sr. Back-End Engineer
Companies spend over $1.4T (yes, trillion) a year on corporate travel. But the booking tools that business travelers use are antiquated and frustrating to use. We are here to make that better!
WhereTo is a venture-backed software company that provides a modern business travel platform for corporations. Using proprietary algorithms, WhereTo balances dozens of factors in order to recommend the optimal flight, hotel and car for a given trip. Our approach dynamically adjusts to market conditions, recommending choices that reduce corporate travel spend while providing a good experience for travelers.
- As a Back-End Engineer with WhereTo, you will be responsible for creating high quality user-focused software while working in a cross-disciplinary fast-moving team.
- You will partner with Product-leaders to shape the future of the platform.
- You will help define, implement and reinforce architectural + implementation best-practices.
- You will build pipelines that will handle billions of transactions per day.
- 6+ years professional software development experience (internships and personal projects not included)
- 2+ years experience with Node.js
- Experience with building and architecting high quality software from scratch
- Strong understanding of asynchronous I/O
- Excellent software architecture skills and a passion for maintainable, organized code
- Experienced with AWS, EC3, S3, RDS, CloudFront/CDNs
- Expert with Linux, Ubuntu/Debian (BASH scripting a plus)
- Experience with CI platforms (Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis, etc)
- Experience with REST-based Web Service API implementation
- Experience with MySQL/PostgreSQL (or similar) and understanding of how they work internally
- Experience with Algorithms and Data Structures
- Experience with NoSQL databases is desirable (i.e MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Experience with memory cache systems (Redis, Memcached)
- Experience with other systems programming languages is a bonus (Go, C/C++, Rust, etc), and/or scripting languages (Python) and/or JVM-based languages (Scala, Java, Groovy)
- Experience with pure functional programming and/or functional programming libraries and concepts is a bonus (Haskell, Scala, F#, Ramda, Lo-Dash FP etc)
- Strong experience in designing and implementing highly horizontally-scalable architecture
- Strong understanding of Git fundamentals
- You have not attended or graduated from a coding bootcamp in the last 3 years
- Competitive salary
- An opportunity to get in at the beginning with equity upside
- Medical, Dental, Vision, & FSA
- Generous PTO
- Gym Stipend
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.